In 2004 The United States department of Labor reported that the number of injuries and fatalities from falls from roofs and ladders had increased. This report focused on occupational injuries that generally occur among trained personnel, which speaks to an even greater safety concern over DIY projects utilizing ladders.
Most accidents occur from incorrect use of the ladder or materials. Before you begin a project make sure that you have gone through safety preparations and are familiar with the tools to be used. As in most DIY projects, the best safety precaution is to think out your task thoroughly before beginning. You should have confidence in both yours and your equipment's ability to complete the project.
Once you have decided that you need to use a ladder to complete your project, make sure that you have the right type of ladder. There are many types of ladders all with their own advantages and disadvantages, which may include weight and height limits. If you are not sure that your ladder is the best fit for the job, make sure to consult a professional.
Some general things to look for in a ladder are:
How strong is it?
How tall is it?
Is it made primarily for indoor or outdoor use?
What material is it made out of (certain materials can have unique weaknesses or safety concerns)?
Does it have any cracks?
Does it have a coating such as paint that could cover defects?
Are the rungs secured?
Are the footpads secure and dry?
Diving into your Project:
While you may be eager to get started on your project, please take the time to ensure that your ladder is set-up correctly and that you know how to use it safely.
1. Make sure your ladder is steady. Place the ladder on a surface that is strong and level; also make sure that the ladder is not on top of any slippery materials.
2. If using a stepladder, make sure that the spreader arms are in the locked, open position.
3. If you are using a straight or extension ladder, make sure the ladder is resting at the correct angle to the wall or structure it is leaning on. The angle is normally 75-80 degrees. Or for every 4 ft high the ladder is on the wall, make the base 1 ft away from the bottom of the wall.
4. If using a straight or extension ladder, make sure that the top of the ladder is resting against a straight and solid surface.
5. Make sure that you have at least three points of contact with the ladder when working, such as two feet and one hand.
6. Wear flat shows or boots with grip when working on a ladder
7. Do not carry heavy items while climbing the ladder, use some type of hoist or pulley system to retrieve the items instead
8. Don't work on a ladder in strong wind
9. Don't allow children near the ladder
10. Never stand on the top two rungs of the ladder
11. Stay centered and facing the ladder when climbing or working
These ten tips will help keep you safe, however they are not all-inclusive. If you have any questions about your ladder or safety concerns about your project, make sure to consult an expert.
What is the use of fashion? Fashion is the style of human behaviour, popular during usually short period of time. If during a certain period, people begin to put on bell-bottom trousers, wear spectacles with large, disc like glasses,or keep their hats tilted, they are doing so because it is the current craze.
Fashions originate in man's age-old wish to look distinct and attractive. Naturally, they are more popular with women. It is said that the chameleon does not change its colour as quickly as a woman wears out a new fashion, but men too, can't plead innocence.
Let us look at the popularity of fashion from another point of view. They are popular with the youth, because in young people the urge of showing themselves off is the strongest. Children are too small to be aware of it, while the aged are too old to pay any serious thought to it. The young, on the other hand, find life enjoyable and want to enjoy it more by adding to its colourfulness. They adopt all sorts of devices to look attractive.
Latest fashions are popular in big cities rather than small towns and villages. The reason is that most fashions are luxury. People of simple and poor backgrounds can't afford to indulge in such luxuries. On the other hand, the rich, clever and advanced city-people can afford to follow fashion which have a glamour of their own.
Fashion can pertain to any aspect of human behaviour. But the most popular fashions are those in dress. Men's trousers and shirts change in size and shape every six months. Women's clothes change in design in every season or so. It is the west which is the home of fashion. In the east, although they have their own traditions and cultures, prefer to copy and follow the western fashion. Fashions reflect the character of a nation. Western fashions are a clear index of the western mode of thinking and feelings seen. Similarly fashions prevailing amongst various races or tribes gives a clear idea of their respective way of living.
Fashion creates a colourful variety in life and adds to the cultural wealth of a country.